Pop culture treasure, high culture trash.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

********



"Some people are born with the certainty that they own sound or volume; that the lexicon of rock music is theirs to borrow from, to employ, to interpret. For them, it might be nothing to move around a stage, to swagger, to sing in front of people, to pick up a guitar, to make records. I set out from a place where I never assumed that those were acceptable choices or that I could ever be anything but an accessory to rock'n'roll. Coming out of a tradition that historically didn't allow women much of a voice, then finding myself helping to create a sound that filled an entire room, that reached into every person in that room, that is a power I had to learn. I needed to try it on before I could call it mine. I had to find a means to make it my own."

-Carrie Brownstein, "More Rock, Less Talk," from This Is Pop: In Search of the Elusive at Experience Music Project.

No comments: