Pop culture treasure, high culture trash.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Showtime, Synergy!

I will be in Seattle at EMP all this weekend trying to pronounce Phyllis Schlafly's name correctly. Post-con reportage TK. In the meantime, Pogo Picks:

I Went to Yr Concert & I Didn’t Feel Anthing: Women’s Liberation Rock, Le Tigre, and the Performed Ideal

Hurts So Good: Guilty Pleasures, Black Feminism and Hip-Hop

No Fat Chicks? Weight and Rebellion During a Hard-Rock Adolescence

Squeak of the New Wave Woman

Listening Closets panel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're famous (in other words, you're in the Seattle Weekly)!

'In fact, the fifth annual conference may be the most accessible yet, with guilty pleasures on display from "Truly Outrageous: Toward a Defense of Jem & the Holograms," by Lizzie Ehrenhalt'

I very much prefer accessibility to the alternative, e.g. 'I'm going to make people think I'm smart by writing entirely in incomprehensible jargon that only stuck-up academics can feign to understand, and which is composed mostly of words I made up that don't actually mean anything.' especially when it means that the word 'humping' is included in the text.