Pop culture treasure, high culture trash.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Too good to make up

October 22nd, 2:33 AM
Hello?
Hi, what’s up [inaudible]…Have you seen Jody?.
I think you have the wrong number, I don’t know anyone named Jody.
You must’ve seen him. Don’t you…[inaudible]
No, I think you have the wrong number. My name is Lizzie.
Ohhh. [a pause] Do you wanna suck cock?
Ha! No. Goodnight.

Voicemail, 2:36 AM
Hey Lizzie, how are you doing? It’s me again. I don’t know why you didn’t pick up, you picked up the first time. I really liked your voice. You know, I’d really like to get to know you. You can reach me at tumari9000@hotmail.com. Please, baby, I really liked the sound of your voice. How old are you? I’m, like, 25. I’ve got a Beemer. It’s a Z3. That means it’s a convertible. So I could bang it with the top down. That’s right, bitch! Okay, so, I love you, and I miss you, and…goodnight.

AN OPEN LETTER TO TUMARI9000

Oh, friend. There's no need to pretend with me. You aren't 25, are you? Confess--you are actually a 37 year-old investment banker from East Lansing, and your Beemer Z3 is a 1997 Ford Fiesta. Furthermore, I can tell from your halting and embarrassed use of "baby," "bitch," and the idiom "bang it" that you are familiar with the complexity of these terms, and their embeddedness within the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy as problematized by bell hooks in "Sexism and Misogyny: Who Takes the Rap?" You obviously feel a need to hide your sensitive true self in order to be attractive to women. Do you think no one will love you if they know you stay at home every night knitting and reading Shulamith Firestone? I mean, Firestone is, admittedly, problematic, but you should be open about your radical feminist sympathies! This can only help you! (And while we're on the subject, how do you read "The Women's Rights Movement in the U.S." in light of emergent third wave feminisms? That first graf has some crazy resonances with our contemporary situation, right?).

What I'm saying, Tumari9000, is that you shouldn't ignore your romantic and compassionate instincts. Calling strangers in the middle of the night may not be the best strategy, but one day soon you will meet someone who appreciates your shy smile, honey whole wheat french toast recipe and stunning collection of Bea Arthur memorabilia. That someone, I'm afraid, just isn't me.

In sisterhood,
Lizzie Pogo

P.S. What do you think of the new Tanya Donnelly record? Yeah, it makes me miss Throwing Muses, too, but this is good in the meantime, wouldn't you say?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great first entry for me to read now that I've been directed to your presence on the web! I really miss you!

I'm sorry we didn't connect this summer. I've been home for 5 months now and seen exactly two friends. I'm a bit of a mess, so please don't take it personally. It's not how I meant for things to happen.

How are you liking grad school and MI? Let's get back in touch, ok? I love you, Lizzie

Mairead said...

THAT MEANS IT'S A CONVERTIBLE ?!?!

Lizzie Pogo said...

I know, right? Although apprently dude knows his cars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z3

smelly mcsmellsmell said...

this is the best thing i've ever heard. i am at work, laughing so hard i am crying and disrupting the calmness that is sticky needle time.


brilliance. just brilliance.


p.s. many interesting people at idke.

t. said...

shulamith firestone! ha! that was brilliant...