Pop culture treasure, high culture trash.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Dank disco

I got my new radio show off the ground today and it was great fun, excepting the fact that the monitors in the studio are busted and you have to just turn up the headphones volume really loud to be able to hear what you're doing. Also, the new Architecture in Helsinki record wasn't there (station manager says somebody nicked it), which was sad, and I got a bit panicked from forgetting my password to get into the playlist system and ran around the pop vault going, "Um, um...the Evens! Um..Metric!" looking for things to put on. I heard a taste of the new Electrelane, though, and it is some kind of wonderful. The accordion, ladies, the accordion! The pop vault smelled intensely of boy sweat, much more so than I remember from last year, and the creepy thing was that the smell itself seemed to be concentrated in the cds themselves. Like the fumes had leached into their very fibers. Or creepier still--that it was the music that was sweating. The hot rock, indeed.

For some reason my show description tag didn't make it onto the playlist site, so here it is, just for you:

Good Advice for the Modern Girl
My name's the deconstruction of color, what's yours? Come to my post-pop & ladypunk party (Thursdays, 3:00-4:00 pm, www.wobc.org)

No comments: